What to do, what to do? We want to be successful, but in the middle of that desire we may lose track of what our talents and abilities are-we misplace our focus, get caught up in minutiae or frustration. We look around us and see that those that are climbing the proverbial ladder of success are doing many different things. Some are doing those things better than others. We may think they’re doing too many things. We may think they’re the “Jack of all trades, master of none”. This may be true. But, they’re doing them.
They may not be the master of any one thing, but they’re scoring wins and getting noticed. This is a talent in itself. You may feel that you can’t obtain your highest standards if your focus is too wide. Ask yourself if you’re really thinking about the greater success of the company you’re working with, or is it more personal? Do you feel that your ability to focus on the “smallness”, is contributing to help showcase the “lucky” greater achievement for ladder climbing individuals? Do you feel your focused abilities aren’t being noticed and their less focused abilities are being applauded? Do you feel jealous? Here are good things to keep in mind:
- Recognize and applaud yourself for the things in your life that you have MASTERED. Know that there are always things in our lives that we may want or need to get better at as time moves along. Don’t pass up opportunities to broaden your skills.
- If there’s something you want to achieve, you are the only one keeping yourself from accomplishing what you want to accomplish. I have hit many a roadblock both in my personal life and my business life. If you want your dreams to come true, you keep on keepin’ on. There will be times you will want to give up, but don’t. Remind yourself why you want this so much!
- Yes, acknowledge those small wins, but remember it’s those big projects and the big wins that are noticed. If you live under the radar, you’ll stay under the radar.
- It’s great to have passion for a cause, but when you’re at your job and dealing with clients, most of the time it’s preferable to have someone who’s cool, calm and collected under pressure. When mistakes happen-because they do, will you become mush or rise to be the warrior that’s needed? This is one of those other qualities that’s important to help take that step up the ladder of success.
- Work with your people. Be a leader not a ruler. This is another very important step on the ladder to success. “You get more bees with honey than you do with vinegar”
Love to know your thoughts.