So you realize that the career you have isn’t bringing you the inspiration and involvement you want, you don’t look forward to going to work and you find yourself counting down the minutes until the day is over. Think it’s time to change? You know yourself well enough to know that there aren’t many if any of your skill characteristics that are particularly drawn upon during any given day. You find yourself often perplexed as to why you were hired at your job in the first place. Think it’s time to change? You took the job perhaps because you were tired of the “job search”, and the timing was right. It could have been that the timing was right then-you needed a job and this job paid well. Maybe it seemed like it would be a good complement to your resume…maybe? Those possible reasons may become more and more dim as time goes by. Do you know now what would better suit you? Success doesn’t just happen…you need to create it. What career would glorify your life with positivity? The first thing you should do is purge any negative baggage that may be keeping your from finding what makes you happy. You should hang out with happy like-minded souls because like begets like, and kickoff these several steps to your new successful life change:
1. If at any time you’re not stimulated by what you do at your job, or you don’t like the people you work with-it’s not going to improve, you should leave and find something different…something more satisfying…something more you.
2. Think, think, think about what it is that you enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
3. If you could take money away from the equation and didn’t think of about salary, what is your PASSION? What would you love to make a living doing?
4. Does what you delight in doing, require additional education? Look into the best places you can afford to do that.
5. Do something every day that brings you closer to what you think could be your career PASSION. The step could be as small as making a phone call, joining a group, researching, taking out a book…every little bit helps to get you where you want to go.
6. Keep your mind open as you’re looking into that one PASSION. You may be amazed to see what can pop up.
“When you let go, you open the doors to miracles”.
7. The process to one’s perfect career is a process…it takes time and commitment. If you have any beliefs that may be holding you back from accomplishing the success you are capable of achieving, you need to address them. The success you want is within you, it’s important to find what it is that you want to pursue.
8. Let’s also not forget the working on something that you love and staying in love with it because it feels so meaningful… otherwise what’s been called GRIT thanks to Angela Duckworth’s book, Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance. If you haven’t read it, you should, it’s a really interesting read.
9. If your desire is to join a firm, best not to join a large firm or one not growing fast. You don’t want to be blown away by its social status vs. what it is you can learn. Better to be a big fish is a little pond than a small fish in a big pond.
“Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work”. ~Oprah